Thursday, June 19, 2014

Why Do I Home School? (part 2)

I don't exactly know when my reasons started to change. I do recall speaking at an informational meeting about homeschooling several years ago and crying halfway thru because... I guess the enormity of this task God had called me to had finally hit me.

I recall telling everyone God knew why I needed to homeschool before I really knew why I needed to homeschool. I recall talking about a book I recently read called, Kingdom Education, by Glen Schultz.

It wasn't just about tailoring school to each of my children's individual needs, it wasn't about being able to pick out the best curriculum, it wasn't even about being able to slow down when things were hard or speed up when things were easy. It was so much more than that. 

It was about discipleship.

Bible verses like Deuteronomy 6:5-9, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates" 

and Luke 6:40, "A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone when he is fully trained will be like his teacher", flooded my mind.

I thought back to some of the teachers I had in school... I had some very good teachers, but I also had some very bad teachers. Did I really want my children trained and discipled by some of those people?!? 

More so than that...did I want my kids going through a school void of any mention of God?

This was a big one for me. I grew up in church. I was there every time the doors were open. I know what was taught in the Bible and I also know what was taught in school...and I was so utterly and completely confused.

More on this in the next post...


***Now, if you do not homeschool your children, please do not get offended with what I have posted above. This is about my life and what God has shown me that I needed to be doing. I am in no way trying to tell you what you should or should not be doing with your own children, only God can do that. He has a plan for each of our lives and His plans are not always the same for each person.***




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and leave a comment :)