Monday, November 19, 2012

CtG - Week 10


Here are a few highlights from our week...


Art
As you can tell from the picture, today was one of those days my blue-eyed boy was NOT in the mood for art. They had to copy a picture of an eye, then they had to look in a mirror and try to draw their own. My son somehow managed to scribble down a little eye-ball though...lol!



Bible
Bible is going well...between the Biblical passages and the Journey pages, it feels a bit repetitive at times. So, we skip around a bit in Journey and try not to cover the same things the Biblical passages covered. I can't wait until we get to Week 12 - I have sooo many fun things planned!!!


History
We haven't really had time to get to many of the projects and activities listed in the history lessons lately. Many of them have been really involved or time consuming. However, this week, I saw the kids were going to be learning about weaving and clay pots, so I figured, this was something we could try and tackle. My brown-eyed girl has recently taken up crocheting. She only knows how to make simple bracelets and necklaces for now, but she is having lots of fun. Pretty soon, she'll be able to move on to other things. Thank goodness for You Tube! I had to watch the intro to a video about a million times before I figured out how to get started...lol! Did I forget to mention that I am not really crafty? Crocheting was one of those things I just never got into, although, it looks kinda fun to me now.  

Anyway, I was in Wal-mart and saw a simple weaving loom and a motorized clay potter's wheel. I didn't think my son would be so much into weaving, so I opted to buy the pottery wheel. It was only $20 and it looked like a fun twist to the traditional 'make your own clay pot by hand' which we had done several times already throughout the last few years.

Well, the pottery wheel was not all it was cracked up to be. It was actually kind-a difficult and took us a loooong time to get started. The end result looked NOTHING like what my daughter started out to make, but ended up settling for what it turned out to be rather than start the whole ordeal all over again. I so wish I would have taken a picture of us. We were both up to our elbows in clay mud.


She is going to try her hand at it again at a later date. My son was NOT interested. He said he'd rather make his the old fashioned way. He has yet to do so and probably never will. Did I ever mention he really doesn't like artsy things? LOL!

Science
We've been a bit relaxed in the area of completing the projects that go with the science lessons lately. Either we had done something similar in the past that was still fresh in our minds or they didn't look very appealing. We hope to jump back in to the science projects soon though. 


Read-Alouds
We are still loving the Star of Light!


With next week being Thanksgiving week, we will take a small break here and there from school. We also have lots of fun things planned :)

Have a happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

  1. I admire your tenacity with school! Keep up the GREAT work!

    And, have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I feel as though I'm running out of steam though. I need to regroup. I am hoping next week will be better. I'm really glad next week is week 12 b/c I have some really fun things planned and I'm hoping, since most of it is already prepared and planned out, it will give me that extra oomph to finish out the year and get the kiddos reignited and excited about everything :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and leave a comment :)